Sunday, April 22, 2012

In My Element

I started this post January 3, 2012 at 9:23p.m. and just could not get over my writer's block having attempted this entry several more times there on after. And of course, it is now already 3 months later... However, in honor of the disastrous (though full of potential, I'm sure) 626 nightmarish event, which clearly did not temporarily satisfy my missing-of-Taiwan, but instead successfully sent it into the negatives, I. MUST. FINISH. THIS. LONG. OVERDUE. POOOOST in memory of my awesome trip!

So now, I shall answer the common post-travel question: what was your favorite part about this Taiwan and Hong Kong trip?

I entitled all four of my Facebook albums for my Taiwan and Hong Kong Trip "In My Element" - I know, F-O-U-R ALBUMSSSS, you should expect nothing less from me! For those who know me, you probably got the title, instantly. However, a title that came so naturally and almost without second thought, I learned, had much deeper implications than I had originally intended. Yes I was quite happy being surrounded by Asian people, Asian things, Asian music... (ha. how generic can I get with "Asian"? the land mass in and of itself already covers a good chunk of the world, let alone the plethora of countries, languages, and cultures within the borders of "Asia") but apparently, in-my-element did not stop there! What in this trip made me feel at home, if you will, as opposed to the many HK&China trips I've been on prior to this? I've always enjoyed those vacations and was always very excited to reunite with my childhood friends, but never have I felt more "in my element" as I did on this trip even though it was only my first time visiting Taiwan!

Here's why: this trip encompassed everything I wanted in one location, at one time. I had the opportunity to hang out with college friends I haven't seen for a while, or even well over a year - some who were visiting at the same time, and others who were working overseas. I got to reunite with childhood friends I grew up with in Hong Kong and Shanghai, many of whom I have not seen for years. I got to speak in all three languages whenever and wherever I wanted to. It was an excellent balance of old and new, east and west, in every way you can imagine! Bliss, I tell ya! And not to leave out the obvious, being able to see old friends and continue to build upon those relationships was definitely very fulfilling for my sentimental self. My old-time wish as a kid for all the places I have lived in with all the friends I've made in those places to be one big ole easily accessible land mass, semi came true and manifested itself in this trip. So, if you ask what my favorite part about this trip was? I would have to say exactly that.

I actually started giving this question some thought early in our second week in Taiwan when Ralph popo first prompted it. Except, I literally stopped mid-sentence after "Well, I think..." because I thought I was on the brink of throwing up. Had to keep myself together for the sake of Taiwan's streets and subway, and of course, my two dear friends who would have had to deal with the aftermath if that were to happen, right? Thankfully, I made it back to CityInn just fine, and made it through the rest of our Asia trip with my stomach intact. Thank God.

So anyway, I hope this brief explanation gives you a glimpse of the significance of this trip to me in addition to all the fun and laughter I very much enjoyed and soaked up during my time there. Having been back in the states for several months now, I still manage to find ways to be "in my element". For the time being, by no surprise, I continue to listen to my favorites and give my "ahh, Wang Lee Hom, Khalil Fong" spiels in attempts to convince you, you, you, and you of their excellency. Why? Undoubtedly they are amazing and highly respected artists (by me and many others I'm sure), but they patch up what is lacking culturally here for me. When I was traveling, I actually did not have a strong desire to listen to Chinese music, probably because I was surrounded by all-things-Chinese except for my English-speaking friends. Who knows, if one day I am living in Europe, Africa, or South America, I can definitely see myself blasting WLH, KFong, and probably some good ol' American oldies, boy bands, Jason Mraz, Buble, throw in a few relatively more appropriate radio top 10's to dance around to... ya know what ah'm sayin'? Media always seems to give me a temporal, earthly fulfillment for what is culturally, linguistically, lacking in my current state. There have been times where I lack so much of both American AND Chinese cultures from my heavily Middle-Eastern client-base work place, that I resort to putting my ipod on shuffle during my commute so I can get the best of both worlds. There have also been times I exceeded my mandarin-speaking quota for the week due to huge influxes of Chinese clients that I only want to listen to English songs in the car. Yes, too-much-Chinese does get to me too. At the end of the day though, I am always humbly (almost forcibly) reminded that I should redirect "what is lacking" to God. Every time I feel homesick for who knows what or where, I AM reminded where my true home is and where I ultimately belong to, that though God has uniquely allotted these experiences in my life and has patiently taught me to embrace such experiences, my identity should not stop at my confused cultural mess, but should rest in the security I have in Christ.

OK, I am pretty sure I killed this topic like no other, but ALAS - insert mischievous smile - I am not done yet! I will continue to live up to my notoriously massive posts by providing you with some photo highlights from the trip (literally just snippets. this cannot compare to my 4 albums worth):

MY AWESOME TRAVEL COMPANION: YING 牛牛 - to be able to converse and crack jokes in English, Mando, and Canto freely, to combine my awesome pre-trip planning with her during-the-trip-汁生 (excuse my hideous canto typing), to have probably too much fun together and to be able to enjoy sweet fellowship at the same time,  牛牛, you made my first international-travel-with-a-friend experience an excellent, memorable one! presenting some of our 自戀 zi lian photos :)


TWO MAIN TOUR GUIDES & FAITHFUL HANGOUT-ERS: Ralph (Lao fu) for Taiwan, and Ryan (Lion) for Hong Kong 8)
L: Lao Fu taking up tour guide duties the night upon our arrival.  R: Lion, an excellent tour guide (minus the last day) - we pretty much climbed an entire mountain because of him ;] no, really though he is a muy bueno guide.

SEEING BEAUTIFUL SCENERY + OTHER TOURISTY SPOTS: I absolutely LOVED being a tourist without being on a tour. If I can manage to do that, I will do so for other countries of interest.

Sun Moon Lake and surrounding areas
TW Night scenery: Taipei101, Lover's Bridge, Miramar very-large Ferris Wheel
HuaLien - small, but significant sites
Taroko Gorge - amazing / slightly dangerous scenery
Hong Kong local scenes
Hong Kong at night -drool-
OUR VARIOUS LIVING HEADQUARTERS: safe, nice, sanitary (for the most part hahahaha), and cheap, if not graciously provided by others for free.

CityInn Taipei - excellent! minus the daily bright and early vacuuming action, situated in a very convenient location too by the way!
Laurel Villa, Sun Moon Lake - pretty cute, small place, friendly owners, very personal :)
Crossing the Rainbow Bridge - Taroko Gorge Min Su, the husband is a Taroko native (aborigine!); very cute and clean little place right outside of Tai Lu Ge; friendly owners who can explain aborigine culture and history; we also got a free upgrade heh :) hence the two queen beds. our ONE and ONLY time sleeping in our own beds in TW!
Free Stay! :) So Thankful. Excuse the messiness of our 狗窩 hahaha

FOOD - puhhlease, this is probably THE biggest thang if you're in Asia!


One of my favorites is Jia Xin Dou Gan - stuffed "dried" tofu!!! it was SO DELICIOUS, and sadly, a one-time experience. couldn't find it anywhere else outside of SML.

Gotta get a taste of the local McD's!
Finally, you must understand that nothing. beats. Asian. 7-11s!!!

WORLDS COLLIDE: one of the most heart-warming things for me was seeing and hanging out with all these wonderful people on the other half of the globe.

Ehllickk, Laofu, Connie, Neeko, Andy, Joyeeeeee, and yes that is 陳柏霖, I claimed him as a friend when I needed a small vertical photo to fill that slot in this collage, but really, WLH would be a much better fit :P
Childhood friends + Harvesters! CGinn, Reggie, Phil, Rmiu, Terry, lum lum, Teen, Nathan.
THE CRAZY NIGHTS: the weekend that was so packed it felt like one long day, the weekend in which I lived like an owl, and also the weekend in which I realized I am way too old for such madness...

1-2:30a.m. Luxy; 7:30-10p.m. Khalil Fong Concert in THE Taipei little big egg; 11p.m.-7a.m. Karaoke -> K.O.
OTHER THINGS where photos and words do not do justice: invaluable conversations, chivalry and care from friends, selfless friends, aunties, and uncles, overall genuine hosts and tour guide, God's Grace and protection. Despite the many potentially serious mishaps along the trip, the good overrode the bad, hands down! SO. MUCH. FUN. and I will, with no hesitation, RETURN.

No comments:

Post a Comment